Archive and Research
We have relocated our Archives to the former ambulance station at 88 Meehan Street, Yass. Please note personal visits are only possible by pre-arranged appointments.
The society archive welcomes inquiries from members, students, family historians, consultants, and researchers.
Research inquiries by mail or email on a completed enquiry form and accompanied by the standard fee (see below) are appreciated as inquiries without payment will not be actioned. To enable us to assist you please complete as many of the details as possible on our downloadable inquiry form, noting the source of the information. The more details you can provide, the greater the possibility that we can assist with your inquiry. Please send the completed inquiry form by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and deposit funds to the society’s bank account – Yass & District Historical Society, Westpac, Yass BSB 032 771 Account No 12 0621 quoting your name on the deposit.
Alternatively mail the completed enquiry or order forms with the appropriate payment to
|Yass and District Historical Society Inc|
|P O Box 304|
|Yass NSW 2582|
Most materials in the archive may be photocopied or photographed, subject to copyright guidelines, permissions access, and the physical condition of the material.
- Incoming enquiries will be charged a processing and assessment fee of $40 to determine what records are held. This fee is payable before any research is initiated. Please deposit fee to our account Yass & District Historical Society, Westpac, Yass BSB 032 771 Account No 12 0621 ensuring your name is noted on the deposit. Email enquiries to email@example.com or post to YDHS Inc, P O Box 304, Yass NSW 2582.
- For each and every enquiry a reply will include a list of resources found and an estimate of the hours required to complete the research and write the report. The cost per hour is $15. The reply will include the options to accept the additional hours and fees as indicated or choose to terminate the enquiry. The enquiry will not be processed until the additional fees are deposited.
- Every effort will be made to answer your enquiry, but the Society cannot undertake to provide information not held by the Society Archives.
- Copies of photographs and photocopies can be provided at a cost determined by the Society. These materials provided by the Society cannot be reproduced in any format by the researcher without the express permission of the Society;
- All information given will be treated as confidential unless you wish your contact details and research to be made available
(at the Society’s discretion) to other researchers; and.
- Please ensure that you sign the relevant authorisation regarding public access.
To order archival material or images from the collection please download the order form.
Processing and assessment fee (payable in advance)
|Digital images emailed each.|
Please add an extra $5 to the total order if images or files are required on a USB device.
A prior appointment is required should you wish to personally visit the archives. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange this well in advance of your planned visit.
Please note – copies of documentation and images are provided for personal use and research purposes only and cannot be reproduced in any format without the express permission of the Society. If you wish to reproduce material or an image in any form you will be required to complete a permission form.
The area represented in the archival collection approximates that of the area covered by Yass Valley Council. A wide range of records include the following:
Highlights of the collection
|Local burial & monumental inscription records||St Clement’s Anglican Church registers|
|NSW Births, Deaths and Marriages on CD-Rom||Index to Bench books 1835-1871|
|Electoral rolls||Yass Police Court Letters Book & Court of Requests|
|Census records||Commercial and pastoral directories|
|Rates & Valuations since 1898||Livestock brands 1857-1929|
|Conditional Purchase Indexes 1861- 1865||Goulburn Herald 1848-1857 (microfilm)|
|Yass Courier 1857-1929 (microfilm)||Southern Argus 1881-1887 (microfilm)|
|Yass Tribune clippings||Miscellaneous directories|
|Ephemera collections||The digitized and indexed photographic collection|
|Extensive collection of district maps||Records related to war service of local personnel|
|Records of Community Organisations||WWII rationing cards|
|Local family history files||General Return of Convicts 1837|
|Local history publications||Convict Indents|
|Journals and newsletters||NSW Convict Census & Ticket of Leave Holders for Yass District|
|Historic buildings information||Exchange journals with local and family history groups|
Highlights of the collection
- Collection of some 400 images of World War One soldiers and nurses
- Extensive map collection featuring many first edition parish maps
Extensive map collection featuring many first edition parish maps
Records of the Manchester Unity Independent Order of Oddfellows from c1870
The fully searchable digitized photographic collection